11.21.2011

{diy} paper lantern hot air balloons




Thanksgiving is right around the corner and I know our minds are cramming with recipes and fall centerpieces, crafts and meaningful family traditions, but I needed a little break from all the autumn awesomeness, is that ok?  When I get a craft inspiration I gotta go with it while I've got the itch or it's gone.  To say I love hot air balloons would only be the understatement of the year.  To say I love, love, loooovvve them is getting closer.  In grade school I wrote a short children's story about a sheep, a chicken, a pig, and a duck who all accidentally hijacked a hot air balloon.  It's still one of my favorite stories.  In fact, I think there's a book out now with that same story idea...they stole it.  Hahahaha, okay, I'm sorta kidding about that last part.  Oh if only I could travel around the world in a hot air ballon...one covered in vintage fabric of course.  It would probably look a lot like these.  I got this idea from my friend Abbey (the very same fabulous and creative gal who made me my picnic quilt).  Her hot air ballon is way more awesome than mine, she doesn't take short cuts like I do.  She sewed the little basket on the bottom out of burlap and added burlap patches to her balloon to make it more "boyish".  She even gave me these lanterns that she had left over from a business venture and they're the really good kind--the ones covered in fabric instead of paper.  Thanks, Abbey!

Originally I had wanted to post a little tutorial on how I made these because I couldn't find one on the web, but I know they must be out there somewhere.  Unfortunately, tutorials and toddlers don't always mix.  But we gave it a good try.  I must warn you, I am not a perfectionist.  I'm usually more concerned with how the overall finished piece will look than I am about the details leading up to that point.  So just a note to all the perfectionists out there:  a)  you are awesome  b) this tutorial will probably drive you crazy.















P.S.  I think I'm moving into Legend's room now.  I seriously love these.

P.S. #2  I'm making more for Boston and Astair's room.

Linking up to loveliness here:



36 comments:

little macaroon. said...

Good job! These look fantastic - just the thing for the boring old globes I have in all our bedrooms!!!

Unknown said...

wow wow wow!
i love this!
great idea.
i am going to do some FOR SURE

emilyclare said...

What a wonderful, whimsical idea! They really brighten the room :)

Amy said...

okay, those are awesome!!!!! I love this idea! beautiful.

Mary said...

ooooh! they are so adorable!
great job!
:)

Jen said...

Fabulous! SO cute:)

Kristina @ ReMadeSimple said...

beautiful job-I love your kid's room too-so bright and cheerful ;)

Jodi Ann said...

that is the cutest DIY!

Gen said...

I LOVE your idea! Thanks for sharing. Cheers,
www.cabinfeveredgem@blogspot.com

nicole said...

i love this! and i pinned it!

Jami said...

those are seriously amazing!!!

Laura said...

just found your blog & subscribed:). can't wait to keep reading....

Rachel~Wildflower Photography Studio and Wildflower Creative said...

joye....i'm totally in love with these...so freakin awesome! lovely job friend!! hugs!

Malia said...

These are so lovely and whimsical. What a beautiful job you did. So glad I found you from life made lovely monday. Love your blog and the story of you and your little ones. Thanks for sharing! aloha, malia
p.s. i have to say i am amazed at what you accomplish with young children! i have four too...

Unknown said...

These are fantastic!

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

these are amazing joye!
i love, love, love them!!
going on my to do list right this minute.

Unknown said...

oh goodness! the lovely factor of these is through the roof!! nice job joye!

Sarah @ Hallway Happenings said...

Ok, ok, ok, be still my beating heart. That is the best thing I have seen. Be warned, I will steal this idea (the best form of flattery). Sarah x

Breeann said...

Those are adorable!! Love them :)

Abbey said...

Those are so cute!!! Way cuter than mine! Mine are the rough draft! Love the colors!

Unknown said...

I love these. You are so talented

Ly said...

I love theses. I don't think I'm told old to make these and put them in my room right? hahaha

-Ly
http://www.lyzhang.com

Lanna said...

no joke, when I've thought about what I want our future (hopefully) daughters room to look like, everything I see in these pictures is pretty much it! Painted tress, fabric leaves and birds, fabric rings and hot air balloons! How funny! Looks amazing!

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

These are so wonderful! What a clever idea. I've got to get some paper lanterns ASAP. :-D

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog thru Pinterest. :•) Your hot air balloons are sweeett! I am picturing these at a Baby Shower with a vintage theme and muted colors. Would be sooo precious done up with some vintage baby fabrics and baby animal passengers! Thanks & Happy Trails!!

Unknown said...

Can I be like you someday? Seriously, these are the cutest hot air balloons I have seen yet, and a good tutorial as well. My 4 year old daughter loves hot air baloons, and when I mentioned making some for her bedroom, well lets just say she was excited. She asks me everyday when I am going to make them. I found you through Pinterest, and I am now your newest follower!!

christa jean said...

I was just complaining in my last blog post how I wanted a hot air balloon mobile for my two little boys' room just like one I saw in a baby boutique!
I came up with a fun idea with papers (check it here: http://transforme-cc.blogspot.com/2012/02/diy-hot-air-balloon-mobile.html), but when I came across your blog (via pinterest), I thought, "Gee, now my project looks silly!" Hahaha.

Love the vintage feel of your blog, I can see your heart and love for God all over it!
~ christa jean

jonahliza said...

this is so awesome! thanks for the lovely diy. i cant wait to make a couple for some garden parties im throwin this summer.

Julie Smith-Belton said...

Love your hot air balloons - you inspired us! http://ludopolice.wordpress.com/2012/05/23/friday-night-art-hot-air-balloons/

warhammer space marine said...

That was an awesome idea. Hot air balloons inside your room gives a new look that others can be jealous.

Anonymous said...

Love! Could you tell me what color wall paint this is?

Anonymous said...

The following things as precautions should always be kept in mind while using
these devices:. Lavender has a balancing effect,
which lowers blood pressure, eases digestive spasms,
nausea and indigestion. Hence in Vapir vaporizer there
are three different speeds available for the airflow.

the blonde potato said...

so cute! I'm wondering if you would share the paint color of the room? It looks so cheery and I'm trying to decide on a color for my girls' room right now... Thanks for the tute, I'm not a perfectionist either. You can email me at courtneyelaine at gmail dot com.

Anonymous said...

I like the helpful info you provide in your
articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here frequently.
I'm quite certain I will learn a lot of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

my web page :: upenn.edu

Colette (Coco) said...

I love this idea! You're a genius!

Bride Bubble said...

These are fantastic. These would be perfect for a wedding!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape