3.04.2010

the skinny skin mask



Winter, pregnancy hormones, and just plain ole mommy-hood has definitely played a number on my skin.  I remember in pre-kid days how careful I was to wash my face every night and to brush my teeth nearly three times a day.  Sadly, I now forget to wash my face most nights and I usually have to hunt down my toothbrush because little hands mistook it for their own.  And I am not one that has been blessed with a flawless complexion that can withstand this sort of abuse.  I was informed when I was a teenager that my skin would change for the better once I reached my twenties.  I've been waiting for such a transformation....seven years later...still waiting.

I've decided my skin could use a little much needed intervention.  Some natural, no money out of the pocket, find it in my kitchen-- kind of intervention.  And there's really no better remedy than the facial mask my mom used to make me.  It's a moisturizer, toner, and anti-bacterial all-in-one.

What you'll need to make this facial mask:

1 T. honey
1 egg
1 handful rolled oats

Mix ingredients together, smear it on your face and let it dry for almost ten minutes.  It will start to feel tight and uncomfortable, but once you rinse it off with warm water, your face will feel noticeably softer and smoother.  You can even add this concoction with a drop of lavender oil to your bath water for a moisturizing bath soak. 

What does what (because I'm curious and always want to know these things):

Honey contains antioxidants and antibacterial properties.  It also helps restore the natural moisture balance of your skin without leaving it oily.

Eggs are full of protein and rich in vitamins and minerals that exfoliate, cleanse and tone skin.

Oatmeal is a deep pore cleanser, excellent moisturizer and even heals skin irritations.

I really haven't pampered myself like this in a long time.  And, yes, this is definitely what I consider "pampering"!  I can't quite reach my toes, so giving myself a pedicure is out of the question, but I can relax, sip a cup of hot raspberry tea, and even take another capsule of black cohosh, evening primrose oil, and castor oil.  Ok, so maybe I don't have that last one on hand, but you get the picture : )

21 comments:

Abigail Rogers said...

I see that you have writing listed as one of your interests! Perhaps you would like my blog:

http://openingmyvein.blogspot.com/

I love to write, and though I don't write often, I feel that I have to have an outlet somewhere. So here, every now and then, I'll unpack my thoughts and regale everyone with them. You might enjoy some of my short, random musings!

P.S. Your site is gorgeous and very professional! I love your writing.

carissa said...

i like this kind of pampering!!! the free kind! and it can be done in your own home?! have we hit the jackpot, or what? thanks so much for passing this goodness on. i totally appreciate it. hope that baby is coming along and that you're doing well.

Unknown said...

I am with you...I keep waiting for my skin to get better! I will have to try this! Thanks!

PaisleyJade said...

Ooo - I am such a shocker with looking after my skin so thanks for this... I'm so scared I'd eat some of it as it sounds so delicious!!! ;)

Unknown said...

I have the same skin. I so go to bed without washing my face and every morning, I look in the mirror and say DANG IT! :)

p.s. Go treat yourself to a pedicure! :)

Mommara said...

Ok I am going to have to try this for sure. Hope you are feeling ok, and for the record. Scallini's that Italian restaurant is about 40 min from me. So at some point our paths have to cross friend. :) Sending prayers and hugs as you wait for him to come.

Andrea said...

Blessings and prayers,
andrea

Loren said...

OHHHH thank you for this...I am going to try it out! I am sooo glad you are pampering yourself ~ you deserve it!

ahhhhh I can just hear your peace :)

Kristin said...

Haha!! Come on baby Legend!! We can't wait to see you!

That sounds like a perfect way to pamper yourself, and awesome too to find everything you need in your kitchen.

Lovely Little Nest said...

I'm definitely going to try this! Thanks for the tip :)

Charity said...

I am going to try it, I am on a mission again to go back to basics, you know cleaning with vinegar and that kind of thing and this is perfect. I am glad you did the why it works for me so I don't spend all morning hunting it down, I am like that have to know the hows and why.

Cha Cha

P.S. Didn't add this the other day because you had plenty of things to try but... In real Life I am also a hair stylist and I have been the last person to touch a lot of women before they go to the hospital, so get that sweet hubby of your to give you a nice long relaxing head massage and see if it will help. Maybe there is something to it, who knows.

Pam said...

Mmmm. honey. :) I'd be tempted to lick if off my face if it wernt for the raw egg. ha. gonna have to try that mask out!

Rebekah said...

Love home made masks and treatments-Pure organic coconut oil is a great home made moisturizer too! I've been using it on my skin and hot oil soaks for shiny hair and other uses too.

I hope it made you feel a little more human and relaxed! -Come on legend, we are all waiting to see your little face!

xx

Anonymous said...

ChaCha--I had craniosacral therapy done at my chiros office with one of mine...she predicted that the baby would be born on Monday (it was Friday) and she was right! Oh Joye, enjoy these last moments, there is such a sweetness to the oneness!
Lovies,DJ

Lauren said...

I am definitely going to do this! Winter is terrible to my skin - and once again we are so alike - because I LOVE homemade remedies for anything! And whadya know - I have eggs, rolled oats, and honey at home right now! :) How often do you do that mask? Once a week or as needed? Oh I am so excited to do this tonight!!! :):)

Natalie at Mommy on Fire said...

Well aren't you just the thrifty, natrual spa lady? I think I will try this out tonight. Lord knows my skin needs it as well - I never really had weird skin until I had children. Thanks SO much, kids...HA! It was very worth it.

Mich said...

I wasn't blessed with naturally beautiful skin. I might just have to try this sometime.

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

Sounds great. I hope you are feeling good & having a blessed weekend!
Wylie

Missy said...

Thanks for sharing this! I have horrible skin so I would love to give this a try. I may just try it tonight when I do my self pedicure.

Jayme said...

We just tried this on my husbands back and he loves it! It made his skin soooo soft...not to mention it was fun smearing egg all over his back! Thank for the great idea!

Holly said...

I love natural things like this! I should try it out sometime!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape