12.14.2009

The {Tastes and Smells} of Christmas!

The {Tastes and Smells} of Christmas
Every time I smell the sweet citrus of an orange mingled with the spicy aroma of cloves, it floods me with memories equally crisp and delightful.  My mother used to make these festive spiced orange balls by the dozen.  She would tie them up with ribbon and give them away as gifts.  The air in our home danced with their colorful aroma.  Growing up, I was always a bit leary of my mother's incessant craft projects and her creative ideas (little did I know how much like her I would become!), but this one drew me in.  We would sit at the dining room table, plunging spikes of whole cloves into juicy oranges, creating patterns in orange and brown and reveling in the pungent scent. To this day, I love that smell.

I can't get enough of it!  In fact, every year around this time I make homemade apple cider because it has undercurrents of that same aroma woven through it.

My Favorite {Homemade Apple Cider}

Ingredients:
8-10 gala apples
1 small orange
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. white sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
1 Tbsp whole cloves
3 Tbsp allspice

{1} Chop unpeeled apples and oranges and toss them into a large stock pot
{2} Add water until all apples are covered
{3} Add sugar and spices
{5} Boil uncovered for one hour
{6} Cover and reduce heat, letting simmer for at least two more hours
{7} Turn off heat and let cool.
{8} Mash the fruit.
{9} Strain the fruit and spices from the pot into a large container and enjoy!

What are your favorite Christmas tastes and scents?  Link up and let us know!


12 comments:

Lindy said...

I love those oranges! Now I must buy cloves and oranges when I head to town tomorrow!:)

Heather said...

I really like that orange and clove idea!!

Unknown said...

Yum. I love spiced cider and haven't had any yet this year. I better get busy!

I hope your Christmas season is full of peace and especially JOY(E). :)

Love,
Lynnette

Veronica said...

The cider sounds yummy! I will have to try that sometime soon!

{darlene} said...

mmmmmmmmmmmm. I love apples, cinnamon and clove! Some of my favorite fragrances EVER.

Unknown said...

oh my word I have to try this - that's like my favorite smell ever :-)

Anonymous said...

I can almost smell the oranges and cloves on the screen...too bad it's not scratch and sniff. I think anything cinnamonny(is that a word?) smell yummy and Christmasy too...

(-:

Brook

Violeta said...

Hello from Romania ,
please read the blog – My heart His words – at archive blog please look at November - Humbled and Convicted-

, my friend Tammy Nischan wrote them the story and some pictures of some hungryes poors kids , what we try to help them for Christmas .Our LORD will be so proud of us if we will do something! Many kids dont have food ,or Christmas tree becouse theu are so poors ! I fight so much to help this kids but i cant alone ~ if anyoane wants to know much more or wish to help in anyway you can please let me know email me at :

tibivio72@yahoo.com
My heart is open to everybody!
I love you blog!
sweet blessings and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Violeta

He & Me + 3 said...

I love the smell of pumpkin and spice. YUM around this time of year. Also turkey cooking reminds me of waking up on Christmas morning when I lived at home because MOm always made the turkey for Christmas dinner.
What a great memory you have and of a lovely scent too.

Joyeful said...

Violeta,
I'm going to visit the page right now! My prayers are with you-- thank you for letting me know of the need!

christy rose said...

I love cider! I have never tried to make it though. It sounds like it would not be very hard and maybe a new tradition around here if it goes well. :) Thanks Joye!

Holly said...

Oooooo I know I would love that citrusy scent! Mmmmmm

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape