12.07.2009

The {Sounds of Christmas}


Ever since we began exploring the Five Senses of Christmas, I've been re-awakened to the many different ways we can express our love for our Savior.  I'm more aware of the needs around me, the love that seems to flow more freely, the presence of my Jesus, my Prince of Peace. 


This Tuesday is about the Sounds of Christmas or anything else about enjoying Jesus during this Season that you might want to share.  Do you have a favorite song or one that brings back special memories?  If you have a post about your decorations or holiday fun feel free to add them here as well!  Just click on your post when it is published, copy the address that shows in your address bar and paste that link below.


The {Sounds of Christmas}
I don't know about you, but it's downright difficult for me to be grumpy when Christmas music is filling the air.  How can you help but smile while belting out songs like "Joy to the World" or "Hark the Herald"?  I find it so incredibly fitting that many of the greatest songs ever composed happen to be songs rejoicing in the birth of our Savior.


Heaven is filled with choruses of praise and on one marvelous night, the starry skies were folded back and earth received a glimpse of glory.
"And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.  Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."  {Luke 2: 8-14} 
 Have you ever asked yourself, why were only average shepherds blessed with this holy visitation?  I have, and I am so humbled by the thought that God chose to invite these lowly men to the birthplace of our King.  The angels appeared to them in the fields where they were living.  Not in a palace.  Not even in a warm and cozy home but in the harshness of the desert.  Where they were exposed to all the elements, where they slept on hard ground, and where they took turns watching their only means of income.  These men were chosen to welcome our Savior into this world.  They were the first to receive the good news that would be for all people.

And you know what I think?  I think they appreciated that good news more than anyone else might have.  I think it flooded their souls with hope and joyful anticipation.  I think they treasured what they saw and heard in their hearts always.


This Christmas, I want to treasure the good news as well.  I want the glory of it to fill my home as I read the Christmas story to my kids.  I want the awe and splendor of my King Jesus to radiate from my heart and I want to share it with the shepherds in my life.  I want to share it with those who live in darkness, those who sleep under the stars, and those who need the hope Jesus offers us all.


"Do not be afraid.  I bring you good news of great joy..."  {Luke 2:10}



10 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post! Can't wait to link up!

Lauren said...

This is such a great post Joye! I love your thoughts -- and find that I've had some of the same thoughts about Christmas this year too! I don't know why, but it's been so wonderful this year -- I am truly basking in every moment of it!! :)

Lisa Grace said...

"Hark, the herald angels sing
Glory to the newborn King.
Peace on earth..."

To me, many of the old carols are actually hymns to which I can express my awe, gratitude, and praise. I *love* the sounds of Christmas!

Anonymous said...

"Be near me Lord Jesus, I ask thee to stay close by me forever and love me I pray.....Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care and take us to heaven to live with Thee there."

I found an 8x8 art canvas square at Hobby Lobby about 3 weeks ago with the first half of this phrase on it...I have it on display and I think I'm leaving it up all year.

(-: Brook

He & Me + 3 said...

Amen...I love Christmas music. It is so encouraging to hear it played over the air. The song I am singing in the Christmas Cantata is not really a Christmas song but sure brings it back to Christmas..."We ALL need JESUS"
Hugs,
Mimi

Holly said...

I think the Lord did good by choosing the shepards. He knew they would truly appreciate it.

Stephanie said...

Thanks so much for another great post, Joye! I can't tell you enough what an encouragement you are to me!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

SO beautifully worded! Hope and joyful anticipation... the awe and splendor! It is all so wonderful! :)

Amanda said...

I'm glad you came up with this idea. I've been reading yours and the other links. Everyone puts their own spin on the same idea. It's really neat. It has been a blessing to read these posts and think about Jesus's birth in different ways.

Catherine Anne said...

Beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape