12.11.2009

shatterproof

Thank you, Lord, for shatterproof ornaments!
If I were to take a picture of our tree right now, the bottom half would look strangely bare.
Hmmm....I wonder how that could happen?  I'm sure two little curious pairs of hands have nothing at all to do with it.  To be perfectly honest, though, it really is my fault.  I just couldn't bear forcing them not to touch the tree, they've been so mesmerized and enthralled by all the glimmer and glitz.  They (Astair espescially) are very fascinated with the shiny balls and just had to test them to see if they bounced.  And that's when I realized that not all shatterproof ornaments are created equal.  Nope.  Some shatter into a million little pieces.  I'm pretty sure all of those are now swept into the trash!

Okay, you know me, I have to put a little spin on this.
Lately, I've been feeling like one of those fragile glass ornaments that look as though they might shatter at the slightest stirring.  On Monday I learned that my hubby had to go out of town for work for two weeks before Christmas and another week after and had to leave that very afternoon.  I cried a river that threatened to flood our house.  Not for the first time, a long trip home to see my parents was sounding like a pretty good idea.  Just the thought of being so completely and utterly alone was sending me into panic mode.  It's true that I'm alone for the most part of the day as it is, but the knowledge that daddy is coming home for supper adds an air of much needed anticipation.  Relief is coming!  Adult conversation and companionship is coming!  The kids will have a new target to pounce on!  The exhausting duty of correcting and disciplining, loving and encouraging will now be shared by four shoulders instead of my weary two.

Well, here we are at the end of the week.  It's been a tough one, I will not lie.  I've been exhausted and I've been short-tempered.  But God has reminded me that He is with me.  I can start over again tomorrow and maybe this time I will learn to live on His strength and not my own.  While still feeling a little fragile, I'm convinced that God will help me bounce.
"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work."  2 Corinthians 9:8

8 comments:

Veronica said...

Joye, you know I can totally relate to this post. I've been stressed to the max and tonight I got more news that wasn't good. I am so thankful for the promises of the scripture you posted here. He will give us all we need and for that I'm so thankful!

P.S. Ditto on the shatterproof ornaments. Such a lifesaver this year!

He & Me + 3 said...

Ok, I am not pregnant & my husband has not been gone for a week...but I feel fragile too. It happens to us Moms. Thank God He is there to lift us up.

But he told me: "My kindness is all you need. My power is strongest when you are weak." So I will brag even more about my weaknesses in order that Christ's power will live in me.

Hugs,
Mimi

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

I am sure we can all relate to feeling like fragile glass... I know I can! But what a blessing that each day we can start over with God's help! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joye,

I totally understand where you're at and I can relate...my hubby has been on three 6 month deploments in our 10 years of marriage. He still has to travel for 3 - 14 days at a time in his current job. I really don't like it, but it's where we're at in this season. Thanks for sharing...I will be praying for you.

Hugs,

Brook

Mich said...

Hang in there, friend! I have so been there before. Now, I am passed the toddler stage, but my kids have so many activities, and with me working, when daddy is gone it's tough here too.

This season is the most beautiful time of the year, but can also be the most stressful for sure. Hold tight to Jesus and he will sustain you throught the roller coaster.

Amy said...

I have been there so many times. I completely feel your frustration. Tears well up in my eyes whenever my husband even hints that his work needs to send him somewhere. It is a huge blessing to be a stay at home Mommy, but it is a lot of work and we need our companions. Praying for you my friend.
Blessings,
Amy

really.truly said...

I hear ya.....I know of that river of tears you are talking about. I love how you put a visual on things....how you feel like one of the ornaments ready to shatter. Oh, the things I could share...it has been a tough week emotionally on our end too. Thank you for this sweet and heartfelt post!

Marijah said...

Oh dear Joye!
I am so sorry that Joel had to go away for so long....I can't imagine how hard it is for you. It seems to me like you always have it together! But I want you to know that I am right next door and even if you don't need a babysitter but just want some company or whatever, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK. Yes, I've got a lot on my plate, as we all do, but I love you and would be more than happy to just come be of any help or comfort if it's possible. So really Joye, I know you have a hard time not feeling bad about asking me to do stuff.....but please don't! (: We love you and the kiddos (and silly Joel too!) very much!

P.S. As soon as this icky bummer rain clears up, I'll come over and take the kids on a long walk if you'd like. (:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape