6.19.2009

When In An Emergency....The Diary of a Day

11:00 p.m., 12:00 p.m.,  1:30 a.m., 3:30 a.m., 5:00 and 6:00 a.m...
All appointments I had with my feverish children.

9:00 a.m.
The appointment with their doctor.

101 degrees.
That's what it felt like outside at nine o'clock this morning!

101. 5 degrees and 100 degrees
What the thermometer read this morning when I took My Sweetness' and Mr. Personality's temperature.

9:08 a.m.
The actual time I pushed, pulled and prodded the stretch limo stroller into the waiting room of the doctor's office  (the only way I can get all three children in one place at one time!)

9:30 a.m.
Summoned into the doctor's office and trying desperately to maneuver the five foot long monster through the tiny cramped quarters without running over too many toes or squishing any fingers.  

10:20 a.m.
Still waiting to see a doctor.  Reading Little Red Riding Hood for the fifth time in the most dramatic voice possible in an attempt to distract three miserable and bored out of their minds little people from crawling into the doctor's cabinets or touching the hazardous waste trash can.

10:22 a.m.
Now resorting to singing silly songs..."I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee..."  Anybody remember that one?

10: 25 a.m.
Holding both wailing babies while the doctor attempts to examine them.  "Yep, one has a red throat little mommy."  And then the dreaded sermon and the stern look,  "You know they're behind on their shots, we've gotta see them right away.

"Oh yes, well, that has been an intentional delay." Fidgeting under the strict gaze, desperately trying to sound confident but respectful, when what I really wanted to say was that I have researched this extensively and feel I am making the best decision for my children's health and safety by postponing their 12 and 15 month shots until they are at least 2 and a half years old.  Yep.  That's what I wanted to say.  Ah, well.  Somehow they convinced me to schedule the appointment for them to get their shots  (even though I will call and cancel anyway).

11:45 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
When the pharmacy promised the prescription would be done and when it was actually filled.

12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m.
My desperate attempts at putting my children down for naps...desperate, I tell you.  And desperately failed attempts, I might add.  Sitting in the middle of the floor holding my poor, miserable sick little babies.

2:30 p.m.
I started feeling sorry for myself.  "If only my family didn't live 1,000 miles away!"   And then I got mad at how pathetic I was for feeling sorry for myself.  (Goodness, I only have three children after all and I want more--how will I ever handle it if I can't handle this?)

3:00 p.m.
Lil Man prays, "Dear Jesus, help mommy be nice."  Eeeouch.  Praying with Lil Man, "Yes, Jesus, please forgive me and fill me with your love and your strength and fill our home with your healing."

4: 30 p.m.
Daddy comes home.  Tired and exhausted.  To a very tired and very exhausted little family.  He recently had a tooth pulled.  He needs to rest.  Mommy has an opportunity to learn patience, self-control, and selflessness.  Mommy fails.  Miserably.  (Oh dear, why am I referring to myself in the third person?)

6:00 p.m.
Communication breakdown.  Wishing I could just escape for a little while.  Where's the emergency exit when you really need it?  

"Joye, I'm here."

I brushed the barely heard whisper away, now crying into the dirty dishes, frustrated at my failures today as a mommy, as a lover of my God, as a caring wife.

"Joye, I'm here.  Let me love you."

"Now, God?  I'm not very lovable at the moment.  I'm too busy being angry with myself.  But really, God, you still want to love me now?"

And then I see it.  God is in the business of loving imperfect people.  Nothing I ever do will make Him love me any less.  It's a mercy I don't deserve, but a mercy that cost Him dearly to give.  

He is my emergency exit.  My route to safety.  I escape the flames because I run through the door of His Son, not because of anything I will do or ever have done.

"Thank you, Jesus, for your amazing love."

7:47 p.m.
Babies finally sleeping peacefully.  Kisses, hugs, and forgiveness sought and given from my dearest most wonderful husband.  

9:00 p.m.
An appointment with my Jesus.  Letting Him love me.
Planning an emergency route for tomorrow that looks like this:

RUN TO JESUS FIRST BEFORE ANY SIGNS OF SMOKE!!

29 comments:

Lauren said...

oh Joye - what a tough and FULL day you've had! Sick babies are so hard on a mommy's heart and sanity! I'm so glad you kept your "appointment" with Jesus. I'll be praying that you get some well deserved rest tonight!

Lisa said...

I love your post! So real and true and humurous too :) ha ha ha I just rhymed :)(I believeI speltthat wrong but oh well :) )

Kristin said...

Oh how I love your blog, Joye! I love how you are honest and I love how you love Jesus. And I love how you crack me up with stories that I can so relate too....like wrestling with the stroller. LOL! I hope your little ones are feeling better tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Praying for your family. Poor Little Ones...Poor Dad and Poor Mom.

A much needed reminder for me to run to Him first...I often try to figure out things myself...way to often in fact.

Holly said...

What a truly exhausting day! I'm glad Jesus was there for you and you met Him at the end of the day!

Sarah said...

A hectic schedule, but rejoicing that even with our crazy mommy schedules, the Lord holds us close to his heart. He truly carries the lambs close to his heart and gently leads those that have young.

Hugs for a refreshed day,
Sarah Dawn

Linda said...

Prayers for Joye to have a better day tomorrow.

Prayers for the babies to feel better, and get well real soon.

Prayers for Daddy's love and compassion to flow freely,...and that he will be feeling better too, and able to help with the babies in the evening, and then to give Joye hugs and reassurance and love..

Prayers that the Lord will continue to whisper sweet assuring words to remind Joye that He is there through every trial.

Prayers for the "little man" to know that mommy loves him and that he can be a helper with the twins. And prayers that he won't get sick too.

Prayers for a good night sleep, so that Joye can wake refreshed in the morning!

In Jesus Name I pray,...Amen

Love, Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Lisa said...

Joye :)

It is an amazing organization :) Your probably won't see it in LA but I will be posting a link. They told me it should be on their website after the news is over :).
I love your blog and I am prayin your kiddos feel better soon!!

he & me + 3 said...

Oh I have had my fair share of those days. Running to sit on abba's lap. The only safe place. Hope tomorrow is better and that the babies are well.

Amy said...

Thank you for the laugh and the reminder.

I hope your kiddos are feeling better.

Amy

miranda said...

I totally related to EVERYTHING you said. Have had those days for sure, but don't know that I could've made such a great blog post about it.

I hope you feel refreshed and renewed this morning!

Carrie said...

Oh so sorry :( Poor little ones. Remember we're not perfect...we are ALWAYS going to experience failure and not feeling our best...I feel that now! I'm the one who's in bed with an excruciating earache and the kids are being so sweet and taking care of me...thank you LORD! Dan is out of town, and Alex is being the 'daddy'! ;) I hope you all feel better today!

Anonymous said...

Very interestingly written account of a difficult day. We do relate, dear Joye, although I think it is harder with twins…which I envy you greatly for having, you blessed girl!

God is good and you are sweet. Mama’s of little ones have a hard job; your wonderful!

♥Hope

Rose said...

Excellent post. I could of used this yesterday when my day went VERY wrong.

Thank you for praying for my friend and the sweet comment you left her. I was so touched.

really.truly said...

Awesome post Joye! I've had many a day like that....and waiting in the Dr's office...yuck, so stressful.

Thanks for reminding me where to run!

Anonymous said...

OOOPS. that last comment was from me..... I was signed in as Rose.... my daughter!

Alicia said...

How true! How relatable! Thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I remember those days! I think I slept for months after the kids got older! Poor dear thinking of you and pray your little ones will be better soon! I never had family close by either and felt the same feeling of sorrow over that fact..have you ever heard this song that I posted a while back..? It reminded me of you today. If you have time stop by and feel the words! Hugs :)

http://hadweknown.blogspot.com/2009/01/fot-those-tears-i-died.html

Shi~

Martha said...

Aw, sounds like a busy day indeed!! Take a nice hot bath, there's nothing it won't cure (excluding 99.99% of all diseases in the world today) please keep us updated on your poor lil' kiddies! :)

Julianne said...

ooh, the "help mommy be nice prayer"- that one stings, doesn't it (I've gotten it myself too- glad to know I'm not alone).
So, I see you've already gotten the lovely blog award, however I too am passing it on to you. It was so easy to pick you, I truly feel blessed to follow your lovely blog. so stop by mine and pick your second award up, okay ?
Julianne :)

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

That was ... AWESOME! I could relate on multiple leves, but the "help mommy be nice" really got me. I've been there, too.

Thanks for your vulnerability.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I'm sorry; what else can I say? I could tell you I've been there and that things will get better, but in the midst of the moment, I'm sure my thoughts comfort little. Thankfully, you've run to the only One who can soothe the "crazy and chaos" going on around you.

And by the way, it will get better. I promise.

peace~elaine

Mich said...

Your words touched my heart. I pray all is well at your house tonight and in our mighty God you found the rest you needed.

More Than Words said...

Hi Joy! I know, it's so hard to try to manage things when the kids are sick! Everything gets put on the back burner, and that's okay!!! I'm so glad you spent time with the Lord after your chaotic day. There is nothing better than His soothing words!!!! He's so faithful!

Miss Charlene said...

I absolutely love the way you write! I've never seen anyone write the way you do. I enjoy that a lot!!

Becky R said...

great post. thanks for the comment on my blog and prayers

Jennifer Nordin, LMT, CPT said...

Oh, dear what a day! Sometimes the most blessed peace comes when we find ourselves in a place where the only prayer we can utter is "Help, I can't do this without You!". An oil note, peppermint rubbed into the bottoms of the feet can really help cool down fevers. Just FYI :)

AmyP said...

I loved your entry. From the way you organized to the honest way you conveyed the entire experience - it was beautiful. Thanks. And your pictures....lovely

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape