6.12.2009

Summer School Art and Bargain Decorating Files

Pajama Mama has been hosting Summer School Art and I just happened to finish a project I've been working on for-ev-eh for my Bargain Decorating Files.


It really wasn't that difficult, but even simple things (like getting dressed, going to the bathroom, eating...) become very complicated when lots of little people with pokey little hands are on the loose.  Oh I know.  But aren't they cute!


Many of you know (and if you don't, you soon will because I'm about to tell you) that I love decorating my home for a bargain.  And sometimes that means I have to be incredibly patient.  And in other words that means I frantically search garage sales, flea markets, or the neighbor's trash for treasures.  Ok, well, maybe not that last part!


I had been needing wanting a pretty little medicine cabinet to put in our bathroom because the clutter on our vanity was starting to annoy me.  But I was having the hardest time finding one for a bargain.  I finally spotted this one on the 1/2 price aisle of Hobby Lobby and bought it for twenty bucks.  


There was only one problem...  do you notice it?

You can see right through the glass.  That kind of defeats the purpose, now doesn't it?

So, I had to get a little creative...and turn the glass into a mirror.


You can do this with any glass surface!


Here's what ya do (Bargain Tip #11):


{*}  Find Looking Glass paint.  I decided to try Krylon Looking Glass Mirror-Like Spray Paint.  I found it at Hobby Lobby.


{*}  Tape around the glass for clean lines and no messes!




{*}  Holding the can 6 inches from the glass surface, apply a light coat of paint in a sweeping motion.  Do this several times (waiting for the paint to dry between each application) until you reach your desired effect.  I wanted a more antique look so I only applied about 4 coats.


{*}  Spruce things up a bit.  I decided to paint the cabinet black and distress it with a fine grit sandpaper.  


{*}  Of course, don't be afraid to put some pokey little hands to work here!  You can always go back over what they've "painted"!




{*}  Put it on the wall and hide that clutter!




For more Summer School Art projects hop on over to Pajama Mama's place!


And don't forget...my 100th post give away is fast approaching!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joye,

I have never heard of such a thing…I did not know you could turn glass into a mirror!
I am impressed and it looks lovely…absolutely beautiful!

♥Hope

Kristen, pajama mama said...

get out! i've nver seen that spray paint...hmmm...what can i do with this new information?

really.truly said...

Nice. What a great idea. I am the same way....LOVE decorating by using bargains!

Michelle said...

Joye the medicine cabinet "looks" great!

BTW-what # post are you at right now?

And thanks for showing me how to load multiple pics, but mine only let me do 5 MAX! :>( Do you think I am still doing something wrong?

Mic

Summer said...

What a wonderful idea! It looks great!

Miss Charlene said...

Cuuuuuute, I love what you did with it! Awesome job!

Unknown said...

So cool!!

LisaShaw said...

WOW! Glass to a mirror? The end product is beautiful. Can you come to my house (smile).

Joye, thank you so much for the blessings of your words and heart at my blog. I love and appreciate you. I pray, speak and declare the blessings of the LORD upon you and your precious family in Jesus Name.

Be back soon...

He & Me + 3 said...

Very very cool. I love it! I want one too now.

Sarah said...

Next time your up in Nebraska, you can come decorate my bland, boring house. It could definately use a Joyeful touch. I just don't have the eye for it that you do!

Jenni said...

Wow! I had never heard of mirror paint!!! Your cabinet came out terrific!

Darcie said...

I was just thinking how if you would have kept the glass on it, that it would have a lot easier on the snoopy people that like to peek in peoples medicine cabinets. ;o)

You did an amazing job on it!

Adeye said...

Oh wow---that is such a great idea! The end result is absolutely stunning. Thanks for the tip. I LOVE to decorate on a dime, and am always on the hunt for great ideas (that are cheap!).

Oh, and by the way---I seriously love you blog too :)

Lauren said...

That's awesome! I love it ... definitely keep that in my "idea file" - thanks for sharing!!

Tara said...

I'm another one that had no idea about the mirror spray paint. It looks great, btw. Too bad we don't have a Hobby Lobby in the greater Raleigh area (not that I know of anyway). I miss that fabulous store!

Jennifer Nordin, LMT, CPT said...

You are so creative! Click over to OFW when you can, I have an award for you on my blog...:)

christy rose said...

That is so creative! What a great way to get rid of clutter!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE decorating!

Katie said...

I love this, great job.

Anonymous said...

That is just amazing! I had no idea you could do that with glass. Thanks so much for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape