6.04.2009

Thankful Thursday--Even In This


I'm glad today is Thankful Thursday.  Relieved almost.
I'm linking up with Laurie at Women Taking a Stand and I am going to be thankful today so help me God.  ^_^

I planned on posting this earlier today, but God had other plans!  He had some things to teach me about thankfulness this morning and they weren't easy lessons to learn!

If only you could have seen my home in the early hours of the morning...well, wait....I'm not sure if I would've wanted you to see it!  

Lil Sweetness had pulled off her diaper and was laying in the middle of the rug.  Lil Man was building a "fort" around her with every pillow, cushion, and blanket I've ever owned and accidentally stepped on her fingers.  While I rushed to soothe her wails, my future mountain climber, Boss Man, was scaling the dining room table and fell on his head!  I frantically checked him for serious injury while a half-soothed and now angrily screaming Sweetness trailed me.  Boss Man had managed to fling a bowl of milk and cheerios across the dining room floor and of course little feet and hands couldn't resist playing in it while I watched helplessly, trying to console my mountain man.  That was when my neighbor popped in to walk Lil Man across the street for Vacation Bible School.  Bless her heart, she didn't say a word, just helped mop up cheerios and waited patiently for me to dress my still naked three year old.  What a wonderful neighbor!

My hold on sanity was a thin one this morning and I certainly wasn't feeling very thankful for the way the day was beginning.  I tried to start thanking God for all the million little things I had to be thankful for and even the huge answers to prayers that He had been giving...but I was easily distracted by the confusion around me.  Somehow though, in the midst of the chaos, I finally heard him speak...

"Be thankful even in this..."

The verse came to mind, "Be joyful always.  Pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  (I Thess. 5:18)

God wants me to be thankful in all circumstances.  Even in this.

I thank my God that even in this... he is giving me an opportunity to grow!

Even in this...he is teaching me to abound in patience, in the fruits of the spirit.

Even in this...God is helping me become more like him.

Even in this...I am learning to rely on the Holy Spirit.  To lean on him.  To follow his example.

Even in this...I can be thankful because God loves me enough to never leave me where I am.

Even in this...I am more than a conqueror through him who loves me!  (Romans 8:37)

When I view my day in such a way, somehow the struggles seem easier, more purposeful.  God is doing a work within me through every circumstance!

And for that I am thankful!

**For more Thankful Thursday posts visit Laurie here.

24 comments:

Summer said...

Isn't is wonderful to find peace and be thankful even in the most stressful or irritating situations??!! With God, we are constantly growing and learning...I can't imagine living a life where He is not always present....

Hope your day gets a little easier...take care..

-Summer

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this post! In the midst of my crazy week, I need to remember to be thankful for crazy weeks, and relationships! Thanks Joye!!

Angela said...

Even in this...amen sis. As I was reading my hand written journal posts dated back in 1996, this WAS exactly what I had written, being thankful even when....

I run a home daycare,,,I so related to your day,,LOL...

Everything you wrote,,,is EXACTLY what you are learning, growing and becoming...They grow up so fast,,,God IS teaching us SO much through our children....Rejoice beloved....praise God precious sister...and bask in His faithfulness that He WHO started this good work in you, WILL COMPLETE IT...

Jenilee said...

oh, those mornings are so hard! I have been there!! I love how God has used my kids to shape and mold my character and my relationship with Him. I've learned things from being a mom that I'm not sure I could have learned any other way. The challenge is to be thankful, joyful and content while we are going through the learning times! Thanks for sharing your morning!

Sarah said...

Even in this ... heading back home to the rain after splashing in the sunshine

Even in this .. saying teary goodbyes to grandmas and grandpas not knowing if their funeral will bring you back

Even in this ... watching your little ones cling to Nana and Papa because extended family is something they laid donw

Even in this .... yes Lord, even in this because a world needs to know and deserves to hear of your love.

Joy, thanks for sharing your day, it blessed mine.

Kristin said...

LOL!! I think all of us Moms can totally relate to that kind of day! Bless your heart, Joye! You are so precious and I love how you share the things the Lord speaks to you......it always helps me to think about things in a different way.

Jerralea said...

I love what you said: "God is doing a work within me through every circumstance." This is so true, even when cheerios have been thrown on the floor, God is working thru Mom and how she reacts.

Thanks for this reminder!

It Feels Like Chaos said...

Beautiful post and so true!!! I feel your chaos, Sister, and am so glad we mommy bloggers can help each other be thankful even in this. . . Because we know the "this" will always come!

Lauren said...

Wonderful!! YES - it does feel great to be thankful to our Lord! Thanks for stopping by my blog... I am enjoying yours!:)

bp said...

I love this....."even in this." So true! Have a good day! Thanks for stopping by. God bless, Bethany

Melissa said...

Love the way you expressed this. I'm so glad you could rejoice in the opportunities instead of only feeling stressed about a rough morning.

christy rose said...

Even in this...when my house is a mess and I just cleaned it an hour ago
Even in this...when an unexpected bill arises
Even in this...when my kids are fighting
Even in this...when i feel like I look terrible
Even in this...when i gained 2 lbs last week
Even in this...when my husband was 2 hours late
Even in this...when i am speaking next week and i feel unprepared
Even in this...when my baby won't let me sleep at night
Even in this...when my kids talk back to me
Even in this...when I miss lunch with my friends because I have no one to watch my baby even though I have 3 teenagers capable of doing so.

Even in all of this I am thankful! Thank you for reminding me!

Kelly said...

Thanks for the precious reminder!

Denise said...

Such a beautiful thankful post.

Mich said...

Visiting from another blog...
Beautiful post. Beautiful family.

I needed the reminder today. thank you.

He & Me + 3 said...

Oh my have I been there and a big amen to your post!

Raise Them Up said...

I'm so sorry your day started out that way. I've been there, and I don't always get to the being thankful part! Lol! But those verses are my absolute favorite. I think because they ALWAYS apply.

Hugs

Michele Williams said...

You have your hands full! Wow! Love those verses... Amen! God bless you...

really.truly said...

I know those kind of mornings! You are so right...be thankful in all things. After the night I just had, I needed to read this post. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate all the scripture you included in this fine post.
♥Hope

Pia said...

even in this... love this post. it's hard to be thankful sometimes, but we always have to give thanks in everything... even in this. blessings...

Rita T. said...

Patience is a hard one to learn, but a necessary one. Great post!

LAURIE said...

Beautiful! You captured what makes up most of our days at times and isn't it wonderful that even in the midst of the craziness - God is still with us. Enjoy those crazy moments, those lil diaper pulling off babies will be grown before you know it and you will miss those days terribly. (and you will laugh about them as well!) -Happy TT! Laurie

Sherrylinn said...

What an inspiring post, thank you so much for sharing with us today.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape