3.30.2009

All Things Springy


Spring!  What a perfect word.  It just sounds so sprightly delightful.  For once, I agree with the inventor of the english word.  (so many words just don't 'fit' their definitions...like blog?  come on, we could have invented a better word for it than that!  how many of you truly enjoy calling yourself a "blogger"?  ugh.  completely without imagination.)  Anyways, back to Spring!  It is lovely this year.  I don't remember enjoying it half as much last year.  I am immersing myself in all things Easter because I am determined not to miss it!  I always have the best intentions when it comes to holiday decorations and craft projects, but those crazy holidays have a way of sneaking up on me (what?  you mean Christmas was in December again this year???)  So, we've been hunting easter eggs and talking about Jesus bringing new life.  Every day.  And Lil Man and I can't get enough of it.  I want to naturally dye our eggs this time and my Mother-in-law mentioned that this flower (below) will dye eggs a pretty yellow.  So, I'm going to give it a try and hopefully we'll find some other natural dyes...otherwise we'll have dozens of yellow eggs.

 I had to post a picture of these positively endearing little peeps I picked up at a thrift store for a nickel a piece. (cheap. cheap.)

6 comments:

Rosie@Home and Heartwork said...

I think those little yellow daisy-like flowers are chamomile? Pretty pictures.

Rosie

Lisa Grace said...

Check out pioneerthinking.com ... you can use tea bags, onion skins, berries, all kinds of leafy veggies, flowers, and even citrus fruits ... you need to mix them with things like vinegar and cold water to set the dye sometimes. I did this with my grandmother years ago. One of my faves was using thread to tie onion skins around eggs, then hard boiling them and once they are dry we used shellac for a hard clear coat. Twenty years later they sound like they have a marble in them, but they never smelled and they are still beautiful in her wooden bowl as a center piece with some pine cones, flowers, or other seasonal ornamentation!

P.S. Linked to your spring cleaning blog today =) Thanks again for such a great article.

DeeDee said...

love the pictures... and hey - the yellow is pretty. I never thought of trying to find a natural way ... hum....
I found your blog from Lynnette Krafts...
Sweet Blessings

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

hee hee! Love that last line! :) Your blog is adorable! I can't wiat to read more about your walk with God.
Blessings,
The Southern Housewife

LisaShaw said...

Hi Joye, what beautiful photos. Thanks for visiting over at my Sharing Life with Lisa blog and I so appreciated your comment. I had to pop over and visit with you. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Bless you and your beautiful family.

Lisa

Helene said...

I've been hearing all over the place about dyeing eggs with natural things, like flowers and various fruits. I haven't tried it yet but I'm curious. I usually go the easy route (food coloring, vinegar and water)!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape